SLUUG Steering Committee Minutes - September 2006

NOTE: Minutes posted on the wiki are always unofficial. Schedules for upcoming presentations are always tentative. (Some more tentative than others!)


Saint Louis Bread Company,
10550 Old Olive Street Road,
Creve Coeur, MO 63141 (at Old Olive and Olive)

Date / Time

  • September 6, 2006
  • 6:30 pm - 8:01 pm


  • Lee Lammert
  • Barry Morrison
  • Craig Buchek
  • Clarence Johnson
  • Gary Meyer
  • Stan Reichardt

Secretary Report

  • Have printed out all previous Steering Committee meeting minutes.
    • Need Carl to sign August's.
  • Still need to type up minutes of previous Board meeting.

Treasurer Report

  • Lee did not bring the bank statement and balance info.
  • Lee paid WU phone bill thru Aug 1.
    • Asked for adjustment for 5th line.
    • Wrote that we want to drop all but 1 line for Oct 1.

Book Sales

  • No report.

Previous Meetings


  • 2 Aug STEERC - 5
  • 9 Aug SLUUG - 26(27)
  • 17 Aug STLLUG - 15(17)
  • 22 Aug HZWLUG - 10
  • 24 Aug STCLUG - 14
  • 30 Aug SECURE - 14

Comments on Presentations

August 2006

SLUUG - Aug 9

  • Base: Intro to Metasploit Security Tool by Chris Byrd
    • Very good. Excellent lead-in to Security group meeting.
  • Main: We're all doomed!: A look into the present & future by Scott Granneman
    • Fascinating. Excellent, but a bit all over the map.

STLLUG - Aug 17

  • Main: JT Moree - Personal Accomplishments in Open Source
    • Good for people that know JT. Somewhat boring for the others.
    • Some good lessons learned. Dragged on on a few topics.

HZWLUG - Aug 22

  • Newbie Topics - Review of Package Managers and Comparing Distributions.
    • Didn't have time for Wireless router.
    • Lots of happy attendees -- starting to participate and ask questions.

STCLUG - Aug 24

  • Main: Creating a VNC repeater for your customers and relatives - and WHY? by Carl Fitch
    • Very interesting.
    • Talked about how to best deploy a VNC solution for clients.
    • Some technical issues connecting to Internet, but software worked well.

Security - Aug 30

  • Hands-On: Metasploit by Chris Byrd (re-scheduled from Aug 23)
    • Excellent presentation and hands-on. Cracked Windows 2003 systems.
    • Covered a lot more material than most were expecting.

Presentation Schedule

September 2006

SLUUG - Sep 13

  • Base: Bugzilla by Craig Buchek
  • Main: Techie Videos from the Internet
    • Possibilities: Revolution OS, DLTV, etc.

STLLUG - Sep 21

  • Main: Update on SCO v. IBM Lawsuit by AllParadox (Benjamin White) (via Craig Buchek / Scott McKellar)

HZWLUG - Sep 26

  • Newbie Topics

Security - Sep 27

  • Expected to be canceled because C. Johnson has another training class. Nearly impossible to get another UMSL employee to chaperone the computer training room during our sessions. UPDATE: Meeting will go on as scheduled.

STCLUG - Sep 28

  • TBD - Exciting stuff from Stan and Fred

October 2006

SLUUG - Oct 11

  • Base: Firebug (Firefox plugin - JavaScript debugger) by Ed Howland
  • Main: AppArmor by Matt Skiption of Novell

STLLUG - Oct 19

  • Main: Zimbra Collaboration Suite (Exchange "replacement") by Matthew Porter (TENTATIVE)

Potential Presentations

  • Certified Ethical Hacking by Mark Russell of Premier Knowledge (via Lee)
  • XGL by Matt Skipton of Novell (via Lee)
  • SELinux by Stan Reichardt (Not Earlier Than October, If Then)
  • Main: InkScape - Mark Jarnowski (via Craig)
  • Perl Scripts to do DNA Genetic Research by Bryce Meyer from Wiltel/Level 3 (via Gary)
  • OpenVPN by Robert Citek (via ???)
  • MythTV / Freevo / TiVo - (STLLUG?) - (via Sarah on the Perl list)
  • WiFi - Jerry @ OCI (via Gary)
  • CVS/Subversion - Sanjiv, Ed Howland (via ???)
  • Tech Futures - Railroad guy (via Rich Seibel)
  • Requests:
    • VPN (hands-on preferred, good for a Security meeting)
    • CVS/Subversion for Config Files
    • Oracle Application Express
    • How To Update Your System - apt, yum, yast, etc.
    • Music - Linux on iPod, iPod on Linux, Ogg, players, etc.
    • Using Secure Email Clients
    • TrueCrypt - file-level encryption for Windows/Linux
    • One-Time Passwords
    • Video cards in Linux (Heuris)
    • IBM vs. Sun vs. HP on UNIX

Weekly Announcements

  • Going strong.
  • Some issues getting good info from other groups about their meetings.

Library Room Reservations

  • First Saturday in October.
  • Stan will fill out paperwork.
  • Phil Bunch will reserve Indian Trails for STLLUG.
  • Stan will reserve Hazelwood for HZLUG.


  • Clarence and Stan R. will start working to gather information about previous sponsors.
    • Starting with information from the web site.
  • Lee working to send out invoices to previous sponsors. ($200)
  • Stan noted that Primary Networks is asking us to put a different logo (and link) on our web site.
    • As part of their hosting us, we agreed to put their link/logo on our site.

Website Librarian

  • Presentation topics as far back as 1996 have now been listed.
    • Stan R. indicated that accuracy is not high, but will search additional notes.
    • Stan R. and Ted will continue listing prior years' data as time permits.
    • Stan R. will start adding some of the materials that are smaller.
  • Presentation STL LUG topics are now up to date.
    • Previously stopped after year 2000.
    • Accuracy not high, about 5 months missing.
  • Stan R. working with Ted to get presentations put up.
    • Ted not comfortable with librarian as a title, but the goal remains to gather the materials.
    • Ted has gotten some of the older presentations gathered.
    • Ted's major emphasis will be to focus on getting the material from presenters.
    • We anticipate HTML to be the most desirable format, followed by PDF.

System Administration

  • Dark is getting hardware issues about once a month.
    • Reboots, but comes back up.

PROJECT: New servers

  • Someone (Mike Knight?) added a lot of good discussion on the wiki about user accounts.
  • Need to complete migration to new servers.
  • Chris Byrd volunteered to help.
    • Has good Drupal experience.
    • Has done Linux administration.
  • Craig has a 1U UltraSparc with Solaris 10 to donate and install at Primary.
  • Clarence showed us Chris Byrd's Drupal mock-up of the Security SIG's web group.
    • We agreed that it looked good.
    • We'd like to move the site to our new boxes.
    • Craig will work with him.

Old Business

  • Craig needs to work to write up new membership info.
    • See previous minutes for full details.
  • Christine Wanta emailed the list, saying she would have to resign her Board seat.
    • Unable to attend enough meetings.
    • Christine has not submitted a written resignation letter as of yet.
  • We are proceeding with dropping dial-up on September 30.
    • Carl emailed all our users, telling them dial-up would be going away.
    • Stan suggested keeping 1 dial-up line for emergency access to Wash U systems.
    • Lee has notified Wash U in writing, to drop all but 1 line on October 1.
  • EPC - big sale last month.
    • We were there. Some of us.
    • Was nice, because we only had to answer questions, not do installs.
  • We discussed membership dues in relation to shell accounts.
    • Agreed that there should be 3 levels of voluntary membership dues.
      • $100
      • $70
      • $35
    • Agreed that shell accounts are available in 1 of 2 conditions:
      • User pays voluntary membership dues,
      • OR user attended 2 meetings in the previous calendar year, and pays $10.

New Business

  • No new business.

Blue Sky

  • The sky is still blue.

Follow-up and Action Items

  • Chris and Craig - Work on migrating to new servers.
  • Craig - Write up info on membership levels for web site and hand-outs.
  • Lee - Submit treasurer reports for inclusion in secretary folder.
  • Barry - Look into Webmin and Majordomo/Mailman for new servers.
    • Need to be able to preserve the archives.
  • Tim - Contact Mark Russell about presenting at Security group.
  • Stan - Update web sites.
  • Ted and Stan - Upload presentations to web archive.
  • Clarence and Stan - Get working on collecting sponsor contact info.
steercom/2006-09.txt · Last modified: 2006/09/19 07:08 by
Except where otherwise noted, content on this wiki is licensed under the following license:CC Attribution-Share Alike 3.0 Unported
Recent changes RSS feed Donate Powered by PHP Valid XHTML 1.0 Valid CSS Driven by DokuWiki