Minutes posted on the wiki are always unofficial. Schedules for upcoming presentations are always tentative. (Some more tentative than others!)


Saint Louis Bread Company,
(at Old Olive and Olive),
10550 Old Olive Street Road,
Creve Coeur, MO 63141

Date and Time

  • October 4, 2006
  • 6:30 pm - 8:15 pm


  • Lee Lammert
  • Barry Morrison
  • Stan Reichardt
  • Carl Fitch
  • Craig Buchek
  • Gary Meyer

Secretary Report

  • Need to print out September Steering Committee meeting minutes.
  • Need Carl to sign August's minutes.
  • Still need to type up minutes of previous Board meeting.
  • Filed Christine's resignation letter.

Treasurer Report

Amount Notes
Starting Bank Balance $586.17 Bank Statement
AP Due (Wash U) $170.00 (4 lines @ $34)
AR $100.00 Membership payment
Balance as of 8/31/06 $516.17
  • September numbers pending.
  • Still need to reconcile QuickBooks for previous years.
    • Lee will need some assistance with that.

Book Sales Report

  • No book sales in September.

Attendance Report

Year to Date figures for 2006 posted to STEERCOM mailing list

  • 6 Sep STEERC - 6
  • 13 Sep SLUUG - 15
  • 21 Sep STLLUG - 15(17)
  • 26 Sep HZWLUG - 8
  • 27 Sep SECURE - 17
  • 28 Sep STCLUG - 10
  • Security SIG had an excellent turn-out this month.
  • LUG turn-out was lighter than expected.

Comments on Presentations

September 2006

SLUUG - Sep 13

  • Base: Bugzilla by Craig Buchek
    • Excellent. Hopefully this will help members report bugs.
  • Main: Techie Videos from the Internet (DLTV)
    • DLTV episode was too long.
    • Good idea for filler, but choose shorter videos next time.

STLLUG - Sep 21

  • Main: Update on SCO v. IBM Lawsuit by AllParadox (Benjamin White)
    • Started out slow, but was better in the middle and end.
    • Helped us understand some of the technical legal details.

HZWLUG - Sep 26

  • Finding Linux Applications
    • Maybe okay.
    • Had problems with projector.
  • Other Newbie Topics


  • Network Diagnostics & Deep Packet Scanning by Ed Morrisy of Global Velocity
    • Pizza was really good.
    • Presentation was good and interesting, but a bit too much salesmanship.

STCLUG - Sep 28

  • Finding Linux Applications
    • Reprise of Hazelwood talk.
    • Started late, but went faster.

Presentation Schedule

October 2006

SLUUG - Oct 11

  • Base: Firebug (Firefox plugin - JavaScript debugger) by Ed Howland
  • Main: AppArmor by Matt Skiption of Novell

STLLUG - Oct 19

  • Main: To Be Determined

HZWLUG - Oct 24

  • Base: Newbie Topics


  • Primer on Encryption by Mark Buchanan

STCLUG - Oct 26

  • Cronolog - Effortless Log Rotation by Carl Fitch

November 2006

SLUUG - Nov 8

  • Base: Cronolog - Effortless Log Rotation by Carl Fitch
  • Main: Introduction to Logical Volume Manager by Jeff Muse (TENATIVE)

STLLUG - Nov 16

  • Main: Follow-up Demonstration of Logical Volume Manager by Jeff Muse (TENATIVE)


  • TBD.

Thanksgiving Day - Nov 23

STCLUG - Nov 20?

  • Need to determine Holiday schedule date.
    • Carl believes it's been scheduled for the 20th, but it may be the 27th.

HZWLUG - Nov 28

  • Newbie Topics

December 2006

SLUUG - Dec 13

  • Base: TBD.
  • Main: TBD.

STLLUG - Dec 21

  • Base: TBD.
  • Main: InkScape by Mark Jarnowski (TENTATIVE)

Christmas Day - Dec 25

HZWLUG - Dec 26

  • NOTE: May cancel this meeting.
  • UPDATE: The 26 Dec date given was wrong, meeting room is reserved for 19 Dec - Stan R.


  • TBD.

STCLUG - Dec 28

  • TBD.

January 2007

SLUUG - Jan 10

  • Base:
  • Main: Ethical Hacking by Mark Russell

STLLUG - Jan 18

  • Base:
  • Main:

HZWLUG - Jan 23


STCLUG - Jan 25

Potential Presentations

  • Main: InkScape by Mark Jarnowski (via Craig) (was STLLUG TENTATIVE)
  • Everything you (N)Ever Wanted to Know About HDTV by Craig Buchek (will work on this to have as a stand-by)
  • Certified Ethical Hacking by Mark Russell of Premier Knowledge (via Lee)
  • Contact Mark Russell about presenting at Security group. (via Tim/Ted ?)
  • XGL by Matt Skipton of Novell (via Lee)
  • Perl Scripts to do DNA Genetic Research by Bryce Meyer from Wiltel/Level 3 (via Gary)
  • OpenVPN by Robert Citek (via ???)
  • WiFi - Jerry @ OCI (via Gary)
  • CVS/Subversion - Sanjiv, Ed Howland (via ???)
  • Tech Futures - Railroad guy (via Rich Seibel)
  • SELinux by Stan Reichardt (Not Earlier Than November, If Then)
  • Requests:
    • VPN (hands-on preferred, good for a Security meeting)
    • CVS/Subversion for Config Files
    • Oracle Application Express
    • How To Update Your System - apt, yum, yast, etc.
    • Music - Linux on iPod, iPod on Linux, Ogg, players, etc.
    • Using Secure Email Clients
    • TrueCrypt - file-level encryption for Windows/Linux
    • Using One-Time Passwords
    • MythTV / Freevo / TiVo - (STLLUG?) - (via Sarah on the Perl list, or others)
    • Video cards in Linux (Heuris)
    • IBM vs. Sun vs. HP on UNIX

Weekly Announcements

  • No news is good news.
  • Current mailing list membership numbers (approximate):
    • 880 on ANNOUNCE
    • 180 on DISCUSS (previously reported as 140)

Library Room Reservations

  • First Saturday in October.
  • Stan will fill out paperwork.
  • Phil Bunch usually delivers paperwork to Indian Trails for STLLUG.
  • Stan will reserve Hazelwood for HZLUG.


  • Lee updated our web site to show a different logo (and link) for Primary Networks (Hostirian)
  • Lee working to send out invoices to previous sponsors. ($200)
  • Clarence J. and Stan R. to gather information about previous sponsors.
    • Collect sponsor contact info.
    • Starting with information from the web site.
    • No progress this month.

Website Library

  • Stan R. working with Ted P. to get presentations put up.
  • Ted has gotten some of the older presentations gathered
  • No presentation uploads yet - waiting for migration
  • No progress this month.

System Administration

  • Dark had another checkstop/reboot this month.
  • Michelob
  • WU Dialup hardware

New Servers Project

  • Will meet at Lee's on October 28.
    • Decisions to make:
      • How to get mailing list archives on the new web server.
      • How to migrate email, while allowing users to access email via existing methods.
      • How to migrate mailing lists.
        • Look into Majordomo/Mailman.
    • To complete:
      • Migrate SLUUG web site.
      • Point to, which can remain on Dark/Michelob, and be migrated to Budlight later.
      • Create new web sites for SIGs.
      • Migrate Chris Byrd's Drupal install over for Security site.
      • Make Bud an admin-only box.
      • Make Budlight a user-accessible box.

Other Old Business

Board Member

  • Christine Wanta emailed the list, saying she would have to resign her Board seat.
    • Unable to attend enough meetings.
  • We received Christine's written resignation letter.
  • Impromptu BOARD MEETING: Stan nominated Barry Morrison as Christine's replacement.
    • Lee seconded.
    • Carl agreed.
    • Passes unanymously.
    • Barry accepted and will hold the board seat until the 2007 elections.

Dial-up Lines

  • We dropped all but 1 dial-up line on September 30.
    • Mike Knight suggested the 1 remaining dial-up line is not needed.
    • Unanimous agreement to drop that remaining line on October 30.
  • Carl emailed all our users, telling them dial-up would be going away.
  • No complaints from users, until lines were already taken down.


  • We discussed membership dues in relation to shell accounts.
    • Agreed that there should be 3 levels of voluntary membership dues.
      • $100
      • $70
      • $35
    • Agreed that shell accounts are available in 1 of 2 conditions:
      • User pays voluntary membership dues, OR user attended 2 meetings in the previous calendar year, and pays $10.
      • Craig was to write up new membership info on membership levels for web site and hand-outs.

New Business

  • S3 (formerly KPG) wants to "sponsor" the upcoming SLUUG meeting.
    • Suggestion was to order pizza at 7:00, seeing how many people are there at that time.
  • Who will collect cash payments at meetings?
    • Carl has the cash box; needs to hand it off whenever he's not there.
  • Nominations for February elections
    • Stan and Gary will be on the nominating committee.
  • Solaris SIG (special interest group)
    • Several members have expressed a desire to start this SIG.
      • Jeff Logullo
      • Nick Moon
      • Jeff Muse
    • The folks who want to run the meeting should decide what day/location they want to hold their meetings.
      • The meetings need not be be on a regular basis, but should be scheduled by the previous month's Steering Committee meeting
      • They need to let the STEERCOM list know in advance when their meetings will be.
    • Craig has 2 Sun 1U servers that he will donate to the group.

Blue Sky

  • Stan noticed that many local user groups have no scheduled meetings in June, July, August.
  • Gary suggested members call some of the old members to remind them of upcoming meetings.

Follow-up and Action Items

  • Craig - Write up membership info.
  • Others - Come to Lee's on October 28 to work on new servers.
steercom/2006-10.txt · Last modified: 2006/10/23 19:53 by
Except where otherwise noted, content on this wiki is licensed under the following license:CC Attribution-Share Alike 3.0 Unported
Recent changes RSS feed Donate Powered by PHP Valid XHTML 1.0 Valid CSS Driven by DokuWiki