Minutes posted on the wiki are always unofficial. Schedules for upcoming presentations are always tentative. (Some more tentative than others!)


Saint Louis Bread Company,
(at Old Olive and Olive),
10550 Old Olive Street Road,
Creve Coeur, MO 63141

Date and Time

  • November 1, 2006
  • 6:44 pm - 8:03 pm


  • Barry Morrison
  • Stan Reichardt
  • Carl Fitch

Secretary Report

  • Secretay DNA due to illness

Treasurer Report

  • Treasurer DNA due to business trip

Book Sales Report

  • One Book sale $39.00

Membership Report

  • Attendance for October
    • 4 Oct STEERC - 6
    • 11 Oct SLUUG - 28
    • 17 Oct SOLARIS - 8?
    • 19 Oct STLLUG - 13
    • 24 Oct HZWLUG - 11
    • 25 Oct SECURE - 12
    • 26 Oct STCLUG - 9
  • First meeting for Solaris SIG this month
    • An attendance sheet was provided, not yet returned.
    • Per Jeff Muse, attendance may have been 8, or so.
  • Current mailing list membership numbers (approximate):
    • 880 on ANNOUNCE (give or take a dozen possible duplicates)
    • 180 on DISCUSS (previously reported as 140)

Nominations Report

  • Nominations needed for February elections
  • Stan R. and Gary M. are on the nominating committee.

Comments on Presentations

October 2006

SLUUG - Oct 11

  • Base: Firebug (Firefox plugin - JavaScript debugger) by Ed Howland
    • Good - crammed a lot into too short a time period
  • S3 (formerly KPG) "sponsored" the SLUUG meeting with pizza.
    • Survey sheet sent around and pizza was ordered about 7:30
  • Main: AppArmor by Matt Skiption of Novell
  • comments: "Well presented" "An eye opener, I was not aware of it's capibilties" "Can't know too much about security"


  • First meeting for Solaris SIG this month
  • Ran into problems with wireless
  • Need to run cable?
  • No report sent in, we don't know who is leader (point of contact).

STLLUG - Oct 19

  • TOPIC: Troubleshooting Linux Problems by Craig Buchek
  • Topic was not scheduled on home web page until late Tuesday prior to meeting.
  • Lots of interactive, on the fly demos of commands.
  • Details sometimes too fast, hard to keep up.
  • In all, mind expanding, and excellent quality on such short notice.

HZWLUG - Oct 24

  • TOPIC: Setting Up Wireless Networks (With Or Without Encryption Keys) by Carl Fitch
  • Very well received, lots of questions, possible follow-up next month.
  • Some discussion of "ports", which may be another topic to focus on.
  • Considerable difficulty getting PC video projector to work (may have just been loose cable).


  • Primer on Encryption by Mark Buchanan
  • Traffic caused a few folks to show up late.
  • Covered historical background which was a good lead into topic.
  • A lot of material, very interesting specifics.
  • Very informative, with lots of side-bar information.

STCLUG - Oct 26

  • Cronolog - Effortless Log Rotation by Carl Fitch
  • No slides, web page shots, hands on
  • Afterwards, Carl F. showed Stan R. how to make translucent graphic using GIMP
  • Location in restraunt was different, good for watch the game.
  • Will include web server in next demo session.

Presentation Schedule

November 2006

SLUUG - Nov 8

  • Base: Cronolog - Effortless Log Rotation by Carl Fitch
  • Main: Introduction to Logical Volume Manager (LVM) by Jeff Muse
    • Stan R. working with Jeff M. on building presentation slides.
    • This tutorial is on a heavy duty topic with 45+ slides.
    • Want one other volunteer for review of slides.
    • Details of follow-up session at STLLUG not yet worked out.
  • Carl has book sales cash box; needs to hand it off whenever he's not there.
  • Need to do nominations for February elections.

STLLUG - Nov 16

  • Main: Demonstration of Logical Volume Manager (LVM) by Jeff Muse
  • This is a Follow-up of the SLUUG presentation

STCLUG - Nov 20

  • Has determined Holiday schedule date.
    • Regular date would fall on Thanksgiving Day Holiday.
    • Carl says that it had been scheduled for the 20th.
  • Topic TBD.


  • Topic TBD.
  • No one reported on this.
  • Carl F. will be attending this next meeting.

Thanksgiving Day - Nov 23

HZWLUG - Nov 28

  • Newbie Topics


  • Regular date Nov 22 was one day prior to Thanksgiving Day.
  • Need to determine X-MAS Holiday schedule date.
  • Topic TBD.

December 2006

SLUUG - Dec 13

  • Base: TBD.
  • Main: TBD.


  • Topic TBD.

HZWLUG - Dec 19

  • Holiday schedule date.
  • The 26 Dec date given last month was wrong, meeting room was reserved for 19 Dec - Stan R.
  • Topic TBD.

STLLUG - Dec 21

  • Need to determine Holiday schedule date.
  • Base: TBD.
  • Main: TBD.

Christmas Day - Dec 25


  • Need to determine Holiday schedule date.
  • TBD.

STCLUG - Dec 28

  • TBD.
  • Carl has confirmed 28th is good for December.

January 2007

SLUUG - Jan 10

  • Base:
  • Main: Ethical Hacking by ??? (scheduled via Lee L.)
  • Need to do additional nominations


  • TBD.

STLLUG - Jan 18

  • Base:
  • Main:
  • Need do final nominations for STL Linux chair.

HZWLUG - Jan 23

  • TBD.


  • TBD.

STCLUG - Jan 25

  • TBD.

February 2007

HZWLUG - Feb 13

  • This early date necessary due to StLC Library Branch scheduling conflicts
  • Election balloting
  • TBD.

SLUUG - Feb 14

  • WARNING: Valentines Day - May cause low attendance
  • Back-to-back meeting this month with STLLUG
  • Official annual SLUUG business meeting
  • Election balloting
  • Lightning Talks are usually done in February at SLUUG
  • Base:
  • Main:

STLLUG - Feb 15

  • Back-to-back meeting this month with SLUUG
  • Election balloting
  • TBD.

SOLARIS - Feb 20

  • Election balloting
  • TBD.

STCLUG - Feb 22

  • Election balloting
  • TBD.


  • Election balloting
  • TBD.

Potential Presentations

  • InkScape by Mark Jarnowski (via Craig) (was STLLUG TENTATIVE)
  • Everything you (N)Ever Wanted to Know About HDTV by Craig Buchek (will work on this to have as a stand-by)
  • Certified Ethical Hacking by Mark Russell of Premier Knowledge (via Lee)
  • Contact Mark Russell about presenting at Security group. (via Tim/Ted ?)
  • XGL by Matt Skipton of Novell (via Lee)
  • Perl Scripts to do DNA Genetic Research by Bryce Meyer from Wiltel/Level 3 (via Gary)
  • OpenVPN by Robert Citek (via ???)
  • WiFi - Jerry @ OCI (via Gary)
  • CVS/Subversion - Sanjiv, Ed Howland (via ???)
  • Tech Futures - Railroad guy (via Rich Seibel)
  • Requests:
    • VPN (hands-on preferred, good for a Security meeting)
    • CVS/Subversion for Config Files
    • Oracle Application Express
    • How To Update Your System - apt, yum, yast, etc.
    • Music - Linux on iPod, iPod on Linux, Ogg, players, etc.
    • Using Secure Email Clients
    • TrueCrypt - file-level encryption for Windows/Linux
    • Using One-Time Passwords
    • MythTV / Freevo / TiVo - (STLLUG?) - (via Sarah on the Perl list, or others)
    • Video cards in Linux (Heuris)
    • IBM vs. Sun vs. HP on UNIX

Library Room Reservations

  • Room reservations are always opened on the first Saturday in October.
  • Stan R. filled out paperwork.
  • Stan R. reserved Prairie Commons Branch for HZWLUG. There were four conflicting dates.
  • Phil Bunch delivered paperwork to Indian Trails Branch for STLLUG.
    • Indian Trails staff mentioned reservation payment policy.
    • Advanced payment for STLLUG might be appropriate.
  • Carl F. made inquiry about alternate meeting site for STLLUG.

Formation of New Solaris SIG

  • Solaris SIG (special interest group)
  • Principles interested are Jeff Logullo, Nik Moon, and Jeff Muse
  • Nik Moon reserved meeting room
  • Stan R. created temporary Solaris SIG webpage, with favicon.ico
  • Stan R. included information in ANNOUNCE mailing
  • Stan R. created attendance sheet document
  • Stan R. mailed attendance sheet document to principle members
  • What is status of donation of 2 Sun 1U servers that Craig had for the group?


  • Craig was contacted with sponsorship offer from S3 (formerly KPG).
  • Stan R. purged a number of old sponsor icons from SLUUG website.
  • Stan R. created temporary sponsor icon for S3 and added it into rotating image script.
  • Stan R. ran into problem with rotating image script.
  • Craig said the check is in the mail to PO box.
  • What is status of Lee sending out invoices to previous sponsors? ($200)
  • Lee is wating for us to generate a list of contacts.
  • Clarence J. and Stan R. to gather information about previous sponsors.
    • Collect sponsor contact info.
    • Starting with information from the web site.
    • No progress this month.

Website Library

  • Stan R. working with Ted P. to get presentations put up.
  • Ted has gotten some of the older presentations gathered
  • Resources page listing past presentations is up to date.
  • No presentation uploads yet - waiting for migration
  • No progress this month.

System Administration

  • Dark
  • Michelob
  • Defunct WU Dialup hardware

Yea, what ever happened to the trusty WU dialup? Did they finally change the # (& login/psw.) after all these years? Anyone have replacement info for us old folks without DSL?

New Servers Project

  • Was to meet at Lee's on October 28.
    • Decisions to make:
      • How to get mailing list archives on the new web server.
      • How to migrate email, while allowing users to access email via existing methods.
      • How to migrate mailing lists.
        • Look into Majordomo/Mailman.
    • To complete:
      • Migrate SLUUG web site.
        • Which can remain on Dark/Michelob, and be migrated to Budlight later.
      • Create new web sites for SIGs.
      • Migrate Chris Byrd's Drupal install over for Security site.
      • Make Bud an admin-only box.
      • Make Budlight a user-accessible box.
      • Need offline (sensitive?) working documentation matrix of machines (for recovery)
        • hostnames and IP numbers,
        • functional purpose,
        • hardware,
        • resources,
        • holders of root, sudo

Other Old Business

Board Member

  • Barry Morrison is Christine's replacement, will hold the board seat until the 2007 elections.
    • Stan R. made change to SLUUG contacts web page
    • need to announce at meetings, etc.

Dial-up Lines

  • We were to have WU drop the remaining line on October 30.
    • Was request made?
    • Do we need to yank some equipment?


  • We discussed membership dues in relation to shell accounts.
    • Agreed that there should be 3 levels of voluntary membership dues.
      • $100
      • $70
      • $35
    • Agreed that shell accounts are available in 1 of 2 conditions:
      • User pays voluntary membership dues, OR user attended 2 meetings in the previous calendar year, and pays $10.
      • Craig B. was to write up new membership info on membership levels for web site and hand-outs.
    • Stan R. sent SLUUG membership flier OOo document to Craig B. for updating

New Business

  • Always more to do.

Blue Sky

  • Still blue.

Follow-up and Action Items

  • Always need somebody to do stuff.
steercom/2006-11.txt · Last modified: 2007/08/22 03:56 by
Except where otherwise noted, content on this wiki is licensed under the following license:CC Attribution-Share Alike 3.0 Unported
Recent changes RSS feed Donate Powered by PHP Valid XHTML 1.0 Valid CSS Driven by DokuWiki